The solar plexus chakra revolves around our personal power, our personality, identity and inner fire. It is associated with the core of who we are and how we feel about ourselves, our abilities and our place in the world.
When this chakra is in balance we revel in self-love; feel confident, capable, empowered, and able to stand up for ourselves. We feel proud of who we are, accept ourselves as we are, and feel secure in the knowledge that we have the freedom to be who we are.
When this chakra is out of balance, we tend to be judgmental or critical of ourselves, feel indecisive, lack the willpower to do anything, have difficulty standing up for ourselves, feel as though we have a lack of choice, and generally feel as though we are powerless and just being swept along in life. We then come from a place of low-self-worth and thus attract situations and relationships that reflect this.
Habits, our mindset, and the indoctrination we may have experienced, can influence the well-being of this chakra. Experiences in our past and traumas we have faced, can become stored in our body. If you have been through something traumatic, or experienced bullying, abuse, have been forced to hide who you are or conform to others’ expectations, you may want to work on balancing the solar plexus chakra. Take note of your thoughts, feelings, actions and reactions to see if your solar plexus chakra needs balancing.
The gifts associated with this chakra give one the ability to move forward in life with confidence, courage and conviction.
- Physical gifts: vitality, personal power, a feeling of physical well-being.
- Mental gifts: clarity, confidence, focus, strong willpower, the ability to stand up for yourself, being able to create plans and act on them, feeling that you are in control of your life, being proud of your achievements, knowing you have what it takes to achieve your goals; the ability to set boundaries, be assertive, and feel more self-assured.
- Emotional gifts: strong self-esteem, self-love, self-acceptance, self-assurance, momentum to move forward, strength to create transformation in your life, feeling worthy of love and respect as well as secure in your place in the world.
- Spiritual gifts: being connected to your inner self and accessing your intuition easily, having a strong sense of self and high self-worth, experiencing the freedom and power of choice, honouring yourself, being able to set intentions, and experiencing inner harmony
The challenges associated with this chakra being out of balance affect the way you feel about yourself, your world and your abilities.
- Physically challenges: digestive system issues, feeling fatigued, feeling drained and lacking vitality, having low energy levels, being reactive or inactive.
- Mental challenges: manipulative behavior as well as feeling depressed, anxious, fearful, lacking focus and ambition or direction; being unassertive, needing to dominate, practicing aggression, having weak will, experiencing victim mentality, and being indecisive.
- Emotional challenges: feeling insecure, having a fear of rejection, low self-esteem or excessive sense of self, low self-worth , poor self-image, oversensitivity to criticism, inability to accept criticism, lacking self-confidence, experiencing emotional outbursts, feeling shame.
- Spiritual challenges: feeling weak and powerless, having trouble setting boundaries with people, seeking approval from others, and the inability to stand up for what you believe in.
When you heal this chakra, you restore your vitality and are able to break free of old habits and patterns that have kept you stuck, allowing yourself to feel energized, focused, empowered, and in alignment with life. When you are in a place where you love, respect and honor yourself daily, you have the knowing that you can create the life you desire.
A few techniques you can use to heal the solar plexus chakra:
Break your patterns and habits:
- We all have daily habits and routines, from what we eat on which days to when and where we go out.
- Do something different, new and refreshing.
- Change up your routine and do something different to break your patterns and habits.
- Just stepping out and doing something new helps you feel refreshed.
Spend time in the sun:
- Get in natural Vitamin D.
- Take a walk and experience the sun on your skin, sunbathe, or just relax in the afternoon sun.
- Use your breath to calm yourself when you feel out of control.
- Close your eyes, take a deep breath in through the nose, and let it out through the mouth.
- Then slowly inhale and exhale through the nose a few times, keeping your mouth closed.
- Do this repeatedly for 5 to 8 seconds for each inhale and exhale.
- Close your eyes and take few deep breaths.
- Visualize a spinning ball of bright yellow light in your diaphragm.
- See this light growing brighter as it spins.
- Now imagine this light moving through your solar plexus, dissolving any blocks, and opening your being.
- Feel this beautiful love energy filling you within, allowing the release of anything unwanted and your being filling with healing.
- Stay in this love energy and open your eyes.
- Breathe deeply a few times and hold this feeling as long as you can.
Intention and action:
- Use the time you created for yourself to examine what you would like to change in your life. It can be as small as sleeping more or as big as your biggest dream. The answer comes from your space of power and it’s for you to decide what matters to you.
- Make a list of these things.
- Now set the intention to create this change.
- Choose just one thing to incorporate into your life to create this change.
- Make it part of daily routine to dedicate just 5 to 10 minutes a day to help you raise your vibration and love yourself – listen to an audio, read an inspirational book, watch a video that makes you feel good.
- The idea is to surround yourself with things that uplift you and your thoughts, and make you feel good.
Right now, where you are at this moment, you are worthy of love and respect. Your past has no bearing on your worth. Give yourself the gift of time to heal your inner wounds and allow yourself to live at your most powerful.
- These include chamomile, lemon, bergamot, cedarwood, rosemary, and ginger.
- Begin by setting the intention to shift your energy and heal your solar plexus chakra.
- Be mindful of your breathing.
- We focus on poses that help us recognize our strength and make us feel powerful:
- sun salutation, warrior one and two, boat pose, camel pose, reverse plank, cobra, cow pose, and seated spinal twist.
What are you doing to balance your solar plexus chakra? Share in the comments below.