The throat chakra relates to communication with self and others, and expression. It is about using our voice, speaking our truth, expressing our creativity, accessing our inner guidance, communicating easily, and comfortably living our truth.
When the throat chakra is in balance, we feel confident in sharing who we really are, free from the judgement of others, comfortable in living our truth. We own our truths with confidence, embrace our uniqueness, express ourselves creatively and communicate with ease. We live a life directed by our inner guidance, and this becomes our physical manifestation, aligning our vision with reality.
When the throat chakra is out of balance we struggle to express ourselves in all ways, have difficulty communicating , we cannot advocate for ourselves, we feel the need to hide who we are at heart, and in so doing, we block our inner guidance system .
This chakra can become blocked as a result of denying who we are, through feelings of guilt, through conflict, by holding back on expressing our truths and needs, and not living authentically according to our truth.
The gifts associated with this chakra are those of communication and manifestation, where the ego and the soul come into alignment.
- Physical gifts: healthy throat area, the ability to effortlessly express yourself openly and honestly, the ability to communicate effectively with yourself and others, and the ability to listen well, finding the words you seek easily.
- Mental gifts: wisdom, clarity of purpose, creative self-expression, inspiration, resolution of conflicts, easily translating thoughts to words, and no longer needing validation or approval from others.
- Emotional gifts: feeling confident in sharing your ideas; knowing and speaking your truth comfortably; feeling free to be who you are; sharing your thoughts, feelings, intentions and creativity authentically; and feeling confident in your words in any situation.
- Spiritual gifts: connecting to divine guidance, receiving direction from your inner being, being more aware of the energy around you, living your truth, owning your voice, and knowing your own power.
The challenges associated with this chakra being out of balance affect our ability to be seen, heard, noticed and to authentically live our lives.
- Physically challenges: a sore throat, TMJ, teeth or jaw issues, thyroid issues, speech challenges, neck pain, difficulty speaking your truth, and difficulty communicating.
- Mental challenges: struggling to express your thoughts, words and feelings; fear of silence; being misinterpreted or misunderstood; directing your words in critical and hurtful ways; interrupting others, being a poor listener, gossiping or dominating conversations; creating conflict as a result of poor communication; and ignoring the nudges and inner voice guidance.
- Emotional challenges: experiencing insecurity, being unable to vocalize your needs and desires, feeling disconnected from your dreams, having trouble expressing yourself creatively, struggling to be honest with yourself, having difficulty expressing your thoughts, feeling and ideas, feeling anxious about speaking or communicating, feeling socially anxious, feeling shy or unworthy, and fearing being judged.
- Spiritual challenges: feeling disconnected from Source, struggling to connect with your inner being, living according to others’ expectations and not your own truth, hiding who you are, and being unable to remain true to yourself.
In opening the throat chakra, you open yourself to a world of ease of communication – a life that manifests the way you desire. Most importantly you develop your connection to Source.
A few techniques you can use to heal the throat chakra:
- Sit comfortably in a quiet space. Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
- Picture a swirling disc of blue light, growing brighter as it moves.
- Feel the energy from this light move through your body.
- Direct this light to the entire throat area.
- Picture this light moving from the outside in and the inside out as you breathe, opening and cleansing the throat chakra, releasing blocks and creating space in this area.
- Feel the divine energy of this light filling you up, allowing yourself to let go of the old and make space for the new; allowing your voice to be heard and letting this new power flow through you.
- Now hold tight to the new energy, open your eyes, and as you move through you day, let your voice be heard.
- As the throat chakra affects the throat area, being more conscious and mindful of what you put in your body and paying attention to your food as you eat, can allow you to have a healthy relationship with food.
- Unexpressed emotions cause you to feel bad and use food to make yourself feel better, but as you express your feelings and thoughts, you will no longer find yourself “eating” them instead .
Healing through speech:
- Perhaps you are aware of your truths, but feel scared to share them. Practice saying your truths out loud and sharing your inner thoughts.
- Start with just yourself and once you are comfortable saying these things, tell someone close to you; someone you feel comfortable saying these things to. The more you own it, the more can believe it. The more you believe it, the more you will allow yourself to fully emerge into who you are at your core.
- You might find that once you embrace your truth, people around you no longer fit you. Know that when you live from your truth, you bring people, circumstances and experiences that match it. This means that even if you can no longer be around people you were previously with, you create a new tribe that fits you better.
- Start by setting the intention to open your throat chakra. Connect to your breath as you move through the poses, releasing tension and moving energy.
- Yoga inversions help bring blood flow to the throat chakra. Poses include shoulder stand, fish pose, bow pose, camel pose, plow pose, and cat-cow pose.
- Doing neck circles also creates movement.
- You can use lion’s breath to cleanse and release your throat chakra area. Inhale through your nose, open your mouth wide and exhale with a loud ’ha’ sound while sticking your tongue out.
- These include frankincense, geranium, jasmine, sage, eucalyptus, lavender, peppermint, clove, cypress, chamomile, and rosemary.
- These include blue lace agate, blue topaz, lapis lazuli, sodalite, turquoise, aquamarine, blue apatite, chalcedony, kyanite, and azurite.
What are you doing to balance your throat chakra? Share in the comments below.