Nurturing is like breathing. Without breath we cannot live; without nurturing ourselves, we don’t connect with life.
We often think of nurturing in the context of a mother caring for her child. Nurturing is the act of caring for and protecting your chosen charge to help them thrive. Most of us find it easy to create time to help another or nurture a friend or loved one. However, we often forget to nurture ourselves and instead wait to be nurtured.
The greatest gift we can give to those we love, is to give to ourselves first. When we nurture our being, we feed our soul, grow, thrive, and recharge. Every interaction we have from this place allows us to give to those we love without resentment, anger, frustration, or impatience. We are more caring, kind, and able to come from a place of unconditional love. If we don’t give to ourselves first, we feel as if we come last – we get burned out and resent life and the people around us, even if we love them.
We can nurture ourselves in grand ways such as taking a vacation with parameters of what we will and won’t do in that time.
We can also nurture ourselves in little ways every day. What nurtures your being:
- Outdoors: Being in nature? Going out on the water? Playing a sport, exercising, or another physical activity?
- Indoors: What about doing things within your home? Perhaps it is listening to a podcast or watching a video. Maybe there is book you have been wanting to read.
- For self: It may be taking a long bath, taking care of your physical body, meditating or napping.
- Your space: Perhaps nurturing self means reinvigorating your home space and making it more of a sanctuary, adding comforts or luxuries that feel good.
- Your circle: What about the people you choose to spend time with? Do they make you feel good, and if so, can you intentionally meet more often? Perhaps you leave them feeling a sense of relief or worse off – in this case, can you spend less time with them and instead make room for a new group of people who serve you better?
How we treat ourselves shows others how to treat us. When we take time to give to self, the people around us grow accustomed to this and support us in this. We need to be brave enough to take the first step and say yes to ourselves first.
What will you do to nurture your being today?